At Stephen Cooley Real Estate Group we have two families: our personal families and our work family and this past weekend we supported our work family. Some of our team nicknamed ‘Sean’s SCREG Soldiers,’ met early Saturday morning at Carowinds and walked to support Brian McCarron’s son, Sean, who was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. The funds raised from the walk go towards research for finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes and our team raised $855 together to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
This cause and disease has become important to Brian since his son, who is 10 years old, had to be immediately hospitalized when they found out about his Type 1. Brian shared his thoughts and feelings about Type 1 as a parent, check it out:
Another reason why this disease is important to the SCREG family is because our very own Blake Payton also has Type 1 Diabetes and deals with it day in and day out as a real estate agent. We sat down and learned more about a day in the life dealing with Type 1:
Type 1 Diabetes Did You Know Facts….
- Type 1 patients must check their blood sugar at least 4 times a day and maintain their levels with insulin shots throughout the day.
- Typically appears in adolescence but can appear at anytime.
- Our agent, Blake Payton, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when he was 26.
- Researchers are not sure what actually causes Type 1 Diabetes but they do believe that genetics and environmental factors are triggers.
- Type 1 is less common than Type 2 Diabetes.
- There is no cure for Type 1 Diabetes.
To learn more about Type 1 or to donate to find a cure for this disease, visit JDRF website.